Our Core Convictions
Common Good Atlanta exists to enrich the community's common good by providing access to higher education, especially to incarcerated people and their families.
- We believe that broad, democratic access to higher education strengthens the common good of communities.
- We believe that a college education helps people develop a deeper understanding of both themselves and the societal forces at work around them.
- We believe that communities are weakened when access to higher education is restricted on the basis of wealth, privilege, or class.
- We believe that higher education can restore dignity and reconnect people to their own humanity, allowing incarcerated people to transform their influence on society from negative to positive.
"We appreciate you so much for not buying into the usual stereotype that we are not worth education. We thank you for realizing we were human being before we came to prison. Through your efforts the world will now see us a little differently."
- Phillips State Prison students
Phillips State Prison Scholars' Identity Statement:
Common Good Atlanta (CGA) is an organization devoted to expanding higher education beyond the traditional classroom setting. Since 2008, CGA created a community of scholars inside Phillips State Prison by connecting us with various faculty and dedicated individuals from across the state, nation, and globe. This environment cultivates within us the knowledge, experience and confidence needed for a better future.
CGA is a diverse group of passionate, ambitious students that are capable of renaming the world. As scholars we work to break through stereotypes and constraints, by growing and expressing ourselves academically. By working through rigorous academic challenges in a creative and scholarly manner, we have transformed and challenged ourselves through humanizing experiences, which in some instances has saved our lives. The results of our work is demonstrated by a body of academic achievements that now stand archived in prominent institutions of higher learning and in several journals and periodicals.